It is not important that how many jobs you are applying but the quality of the application documents are very important.
Even a few minor mistakes in your cover letter could lead to rejection. Here are some of the common mistakes which we make during cover letter preparation.
- Not in a proper format (Click here to know about the format and sample cover letter)
- Wrong date, month and sometimes also the year
- Addressing a wrong person
- Wrong company name
- Mentioning the wrong gender (Mr. or Ms. or Mrs.). Search in LinkedIn, Xing or Google to find the correct gender.
- Not in a proper structure (Experience, Studies, etc). It is better to write from recent activity to the past. (Click here to know about the cover letter structure and sample cover letter)
- More unwanted contents just to fill the page
- Writing many paragraphs
- Writing a cover letter for more than one page
- Not mentioning the joining date*
- Not mentioning your salary expectation*
- Missing signature
* Joining date and salary expectations should be mentioned only if it is asked in the job advertisement.
To avoid the above-menitoned mistakes, spend more time in preparing the cover letter.